From IFORS Developing Countries OR Resources
OpenSolver is an Excel VBA add-in that extends Excel’s built-in Solver with a more powerful Linear Programming solver. It is developed and maintained by Andrew Mason and students at the Engineering Science department, University of Auckland, NZ. OpenSolver provides the following features:
• OpenSolver uses the excellent, Open Source, COIN-OR CBC optimization engine to quickly solve large Linear and Integer problems.
• Compatible with your existing Solver models, so there is no need to change your spreadsheets
• No artificial limits on the size of problem you can solve
• OpenSolver is free, open source software.
As well as providing a replacement optimization engine, OpenSolver offers:
• A built-in model visualizer that highlights your model’s decision variables, objective and constraints directly on your spreadsheet
• A fast QuickSolve mode that makes it much faster to re-solve your model after making changes
• An algorithm to build and update the model only using information present on the sheet
• A modelling tool that we think improves on the built-in Solver window
Link to website: http://opensolver.org/
- Up to date information about the software in this list, which is mostly free to use, can be obtained from this link