Walking Tours

June 29, 4 to 6 pm -Imperial District in Poznań, Start on Plac Mickiewicza (Mickiewicz Square), in front of the monument

Map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.40791/16.91711

Imperial Poznań

Main monuments and landmarks on the route: German castle, Collegium Minus, Collegium Maius, Teatr Wielki (the Great Theatre), Plac Mickiewicza (Mickiewicz Plaza), Plac Wolności (Freedom Plaza)

Description: Germans ruled in Poznan since the late 18th century. They planned urban layout of the city in 19th century (today Wolnosci Plaza).

On the initiative of the German emperor Wilhelm II, between 1902-1913 in Poznań a bold urban project was carried out. With the author of a project, professor Joseph Stubben as a leader, the entire district was built from scratch. The area of former fortifications was meant to become the residential heart of the imperial city. The castle was built by Franz Schwechten to meet the expectations and suit the taste of the emperor. From the very beginning, the castle was meant to be a dominant element of the new district. In addition, a group of monumental buildings of different purpose but in matching styles was erected. They were designed to be used in administration (Colonization Commission), infrastructure (Post Office Headquarters), banking (Credit Zemstvo, Raiffeisen Bank), science (the Royal Academy), culture (the Opera House) and even religion (the Protestant House.) The project included well-designed green areas, with a circular avenue, where the former rampart called the Ring was located. Practical urban planning and aesthetics made it very functional. Stubben’s project is considered to be one of the most original of the 20th century Europe.

• Duration: 2 hours
• Meeting point: At the main entrance to the castle (Św. Marcin street)
• Language: English

June 30, 6:00 – 8:00 pm – Classic Tour, Start on The Old Market Square, in front of the Town Hall

Map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.40845/16.93426

Classic Poznań Route

Main monuments and landmarks on the route: Old Market Square, town hall, parish church, residences of the nobility and Polish Royal Castle.

Description: In the XIII century the city of Poznań was relocated to the left bank of the Warta River, while its centre – the Old Market Square and the Town Hall – became the symbols of the city self-government. Przemysł I, the ruler of Greater Poland, moved his seat to Przemysł Hill, an area rising above the city, which later became a place of residence for Polish kings visiting Poznań. Inhabitants of Poznań were most proud of Fara Church having the highest steeple in the town. Numerous wars and fires caused the old temple to be dismantled and the city parish moved to the Baroque post-Jesuits church. Its monumental façade and interior are probably the most beautiful representation of Polish Baroque.

• Duration: 2 hours
• Meeting point: Old Market Square (in front of the town hall)
• Language: English