We currently invite applications for a postdoc position in Sustainable Urban Transportation Planning at Concordia University – CIRRELT (Montreal, Canada).
Urban transportation concerns the movement of both freight and people in urban areas and involves different stakeholders. The considerable urban population growth over the last decades, together with the rise of e-commerce, and the increased attention to sustainability poses important challenges for the planning of urban transportation systems, particularly in the freight transport sector. The main goal of this research proposal is to study strategic optimization models in urban freight transportation that integrate facility location, capacity planning, fleet composition, and vehicle routing decisions. In particular, it will focus on the design of two-level urban freight transportation networks involving urban consolidation centers and cross-dock satellites. Mathematical models will be developed to analyze the impact of location, capacity selection, link activation, and routing decisions on pollution when these are taken into account in the design of urban freight transportation networks. Approximate and exact solution algorithms will also be developed to efficiently solve these problems.
Academic qualifications required
– Phd in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Transportation, or related fields with experience in mathematical modeling and in the development of decomposition methods for large-scale optimization.
– Advanced knowledge in commercial optimization solvers (CPLEX or GUROBI) and programming skills in C/C++ or Java are required.
– Knowledge in urban transportation planning is desirable.
– Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
– Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
– Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
Timeline and application process
Application deadline: open until the position is filled but no later than April 1, 2017
Fellowship start date: no later than July 1, 2017
Submission process: all documents must be submitted to Cynthia Raso
Please include the reference number with your application
– One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above.
– Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
– Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to Cynthia Raso
Reference number: 2000