Disaster Management Strategies: Financial Perspectives/TCIP
WB reports indicate:
The economic losses from disasters over the past 30 years are estimated at 3.5 USD tn.
- In 2011, estimated losses of around 380 USD bn occurred .
- Floods in Thailand cost the equivalent of 5% of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
- Economic losses of Japan’s earthquake and tsunami were estimated as equivalent to 4% of GDP.
- The economic impact of the Haiti earthquake in 2010 was equal to 120% of its GDP
- The 2004 Grenada hurricane caused losses equivalent to more than 200% of GDP.
Link to material: http://ifors.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/06May2014seminarBB.pdf